About Carina W.C. Au
Carina graduated from the University of Calgary with a Degree in Political Science and Management in 1994. After achieving her undergraduate degree, Carina obtained her Bachelor of Laws from the University of Manchester (U.K.) with Honours in 1997. She returned to Calgary and completed her articling position with the law firm, Spier Harben, in 1998.
She has extensive experience in personal injury; commercial and residential real estate; commercial litigation; insurance defence; wills and estate; and immigration law. Her past employment experience as a defence lawyer afforded Carina the opportunity to work closely with the insurance industries and get a “behind the scenes” perspective of the settlement process.
Her current practice areas include both serious personal injury and minor personal injury claims; wills and estate; and wrongful dismissal.
She is a former board member for the personal injury section of the South Alberta chapter of the Canadian Bar Association (“CBA”); and continues to be an active member of the personal injury and wills & trust sections of the CBA. She is also a member of the Law Society of Alberta, Calgary Bar Association and Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association.
Radio And TV Appearance
Carina is constantly invited by different organizations and media as a guest speaker on current legal issues. She has been a guest speaker since 1998 and continues to be on a monthly radio show on Fairchild Radio (Calgary) and an occasional guest speaker since 2017 on a local Cantonese-speaking talk show to discuss different legal topics.
Carina is one of the few Chinese-Canadian lawyers in Calgary who is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin, both spoken and written. Her extensive involvement in volunteer work for Calgary Legal Guidance and Calgary Chinese Community Service Association; and her unique background, language skills, education, work experience and involvement in the mainstream and Chinese communities serve her clients well.
Classes / Seminars
- Various Topics – most recently on Wills & Estates, Calgary Legal Guidance, 1997 – Present
- Various Topics, Immigrants Service Calgary, 1997 – Present
- Various Topics, Calgary Chinese Alliance Church, 2000 – Present
- Various Topics, Calgary Chinese Community Service Association, 1997 – Present
- Wills & Estates, Kerby Centre (Calgary), 2000 – Present
- Various Topics, Fairchild Radio (Calgary), 1997 – Present
Manchester University Faculty of Law, Manchester, England
- LL.B. – 1997
- Honours: With Second-Upper Class Honors
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- B.A. – 1994
- Major: Political Science and Management
Certified Legal Specialties
LLB, Law Society of Alberta
- Those not fluent in English
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Alberta, Member, 1997 – Present
- Canadian Bar Association, Member, 1997 – Present
- Calgary Bar Association, Member, 1997 – Present
- Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1997 – Present
- Calgary Chinese Community Service Association
- Fairchild Radio (Calgary)
- Fairchild TV (Calgary)